Listing all posts with label environmentally friendly teak furniture care
. Show all posts.
Unlike softer northern woods, teak is a hardwood native to regions with high rainfall in tropical Asia and Southeast Asia. Teak actually weathers best in wet or humid conditions. The dense fine grain of the wood prevents warping or bubbling, and gently wears in to create a non-slip surface. With time and frequent use, the wood will age to a beautiful silvery gray.
Taking environmentally friendly care of your teak shower chair is easy!
- Using salt water, gently scrub your teak shower chair every three to six months and allow it to dry before using it again. The grain of the wood will absorb the salt water, which helps to retain moisture so no shrinkage or cracks develop.
- Use your teak chair as often as possible in damp or humid environments. Unlike other wood, under wet conditions teak wood's dense fine grain doesn’t warp or bubble. Frequent wetting in the shower or by rain also helps prevent cracking.
There are few things more damaging to teak than traditionally accepted practices of caring for wood furniture.
- Don’t sand teak. Sanding teak wood removes the slip-resistant surface and allows the natural oils to escape, which shortens the longevity of the wood.
- Don’t rub teak with furniture oils. Oil shorten the life of the wood by breaking down the natural rubber compounds in the wood that create the anti-fungal, anti-mildew, and anti-microbial properties of the teak. Most commonly used rubbing oils also contain petrochemicals, which outgas, causing smelly indoor air quality issues. Petrochemical products can also cause health problems.
- Don’t stain, varnish or paint teak. Staining, varnishing or painting teak also breaks down the anti-fungal, anti-mildew and anti-microbial properties of the wood.
- Don’t wash teak with harsh detergents or cleaners. Detergents and cleaners also strip the natural oils and break down the anti-fungal and anti-microbial properties of the teak.
As you may have recognized by now, there are many more “don’ts” than “do’s” when it comes to teak furniture! To have your teak shower chair give you the best longest service, it is important to take good environmentally friendly care of the wood by exercising benign neglect!
Please enjoy using your environmentally friendly teak shower chairs!